Sports Rehabilitator (MSc Hons) // Athletic Trainer (ATC) // Massage Therapist // Sports First Aider
Chris has been playing football since he was 4 years old with successful spells at clubs such as Gloucester City AFC, Cheltenham Town FC, and Forest Green Rovers FC. This led to Chris being offered a scholarship to play football in the United States alongside studying to be a Sports Therapist. Whilst studying in the United States he showed extreme dedication to both sport and education winning accolades such as Academic Athlete of the Year in 2017. Chris is now studying towards his MSc in Sports Rehabilitation at St Mary’s University enabling him to become a member of the British Association of Sport Rehabilitators and Trainers. He is also completing a research project, ‘Preventing Groin Injuries in Football using Eccentric Strength Training’.
Playing a high level of football has led to more exposure to injuries and an understanding of the complexity of their causes. This has inspired Chris to help prevent active people from getting injured and to help educate people on how to successfully recover.
Chris’ therapy experience is below:
- Has experience working in a diverse range of sports including American Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Tennis
- Administered sports massage and taping to Football and Rugby Clubs: Samoa Rugby Union, Ealing Trailfinders RFC, London Welsh RFC, Gloucester City AFC
- Currently delivering sports therapy services for Polytechnic Football Club
- Delivered therapeutic care services for the mass participation sporting events such as the London marathon, London triathlon, Brighton marathon, Blenheim triathlon and many more
- Delivering pitchside injury evaluations
- Practising sports and deep tissue massage
- Offers Kinesiology and Dynamic Taping services
- Experience in using modalities such as ultrasound and E-stim machines.
Thanks to you guys, Max was able to run this afternoon in the Middlesex indoor champs. He won gold and ran a 2.10 (a sec off his PB). Considering he was 8 seconds ahead of the silver medalist tells me he can run a little faster and considering this was his first race in 5 months, he was really happy. So, from Max and I, thank you all for all the support, help and counselling. He couldn’t have done it without you guys! Thank you.
Seb and Max Bishop
Great service from Chris Hicks! Got me back Ski instructing within 8 weeks! I visited late November 2019 with what I thought was a sprained muscle. But Chris identified that I had a torn meniscus. They referred me for an MRI, which confirmed a bucket handle tear. I managed to get seen by a surgeon and Chris looked after my physio recovery for the subsequent 8 weeks. I really enjoyed the program and could feel the progress I made each week. Chris provided a fun and effective service. Best part was I got back on my skis after 8 weeks of hard work!
Jonathan Forbes (Ski Instructor)